Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Flashbacks

Part of enduring a childhood riddled with uncertainty and emotional outbursts are flashbacks. Flashbacks are exactly what you think that they are. On any given day, a smell, a sound or a person with an angry tone can trigger flashbacks to my childhood war zone. The flashbacks can last a few seconds or the rest of the day. I replay the events that happened so many years ago and wonder what I could have done differently to change the outcome. In my flashbacks the outcome is always the same so it becomes a mental torture to a certain extent. Recently, I have channeled the flashbacks into future opportunities. I imagine 100 different possibilities that would have ended in a positive outcome. This alleviates my anxiety and helps me manage daily situations in a better way.

No comments:

Post a Comment