Monday, April 8, 2013

Mentally ill but not mentally still

The advances of medicine include medication for those that suffer from mental illness. This allows the victims of mental disease to control their issues under the direction of a doctor. So, what does this mean? This means that the social stigma associated with mental illness needs to be removed so that more people can have the opportunity for a better quality of life.

Mental illness is not a death sentence, it is a factor that affects millions of people and that can be treated with medication.Therefore quality of life can be improved and people can lead healthy lives.

I suffered from depression for many years until I decided to get help. Eight years ago I walked into a therapy office with my head hung low. I was so ashamed of having to talk to someone about my problems and  had the strongest fear that someone would recognize me and know that I was crazy. That was until I did some research and realized that I was not alone. Millions of people suffer from stress, depression, anxiety and countless other issues. However, only those that seek treatment are the ones that are able to break free from the chains that bind our mental health.

Just because a person is mentally ill does not mean that they have to stay mentally still. I sought treatment and I feel like a better person with a better life for taking that step.

No comments:

Post a Comment